Apple has launched two new smartphones, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, at a major event in California, which also saw the release of the premium iPhone X handset.
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are upgrades to Apple’s current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus range, updating some of the main features found on Apple’s current products.
Initially, most pundits thought the iPhone 8 would be Apple’s main new phone – however it instead released three smartphones as part of the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone.
“Our intention has always to create something so magical, powerful, that the hardware virtually disappears,” said Tim Cook at the launch.
He added it was a “new step forward for iPhone” that will “set the path for technology for the next decade”.
Introducing the iPhone 8, Apple executive Phil Schiller said the device “improves on everything we love about the iPhone”.
Here are all the details, specs and, importantly, prices that you need to know.
Key features | iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- Silver, space grey, new gold finish
- Apple claims it’s the most durable glass ever in a smartphone
- water and dust resistant
- 4.7″ display in the 8 and 5.5″ display in the Plus
- Stereo speakers. 25% louder than the speakers in the 7
- A11 bionic chip
- 12MP camera
- 4K 60fps video
- Cameras calibrated for augmented reality
- New Portrait Lighting feature: machine learning creates facial landmarks and enhances light effects on the face (8Plus)
- Wireless charging
- Pre order on September 15, available on September 22
- iOS 11 available on September 19
- 64GB and 256GB
- iPhone 8: £649 for 64GB, £849 for 256GB
- iPhone 8 Plus: £749 for 64GB, £949 for 256GB
Design and appearance
The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are similar in appearance to the current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
The smaller version has a 4.7-inch screen, while the larger phone has a 5.5-inch screen and a dual camera lens on the back.
The processor is the A11 Bionic, “the most powerful and smartest chip ever in a smartphone,” Apple says.
There will be glass on the front and the back of the device, “reinforced by a laser welded steel and copper”. It will be water and dust resistant sealed.
“The new iPhone will have the most durable glass ever in a smartphone,” says Schiller.
Both models will have a HD retina display and feature a 12MP camera.
What colours will it come in?
The iPhone 8 will be available in silver, space grey and a new blush gold colour.
When will the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus go on sale?
The iPhone 8 will go on sale on September 22. You will be able to pre-order the new device from 15 September. iOS 11 will be available to download from 19 September.
How much will they cost?